Saturday, April 5, 2014

Rome

Author: Jay Crownover

Genre: New Adult Fiction

Release Date: January 7, 2014

Format: Nook e-book

Number of Pages: 269

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Part of the Marked Men series, but can be read as a stand-alone as each of the books is about a different couple.

Summary:
Sometimes the wrong choice can be just right…
Fun and fearless, Cora Lewis knows how to keep her tattooed “bad boy” friends at the Marked in line. But beneath all that flash and sass is a broken heart. Cora won’t let herself get burned again. She’s waiting to fall in love with the perfect man – a baggage-free, drama-free guy ready for commitment. Then she meets Rome Archer.

Rome Archer is as far from perfect as a man can be. He’s stubborn, rigid, and bossy. And he’s returned from his final tour of duty more than a little broken. Rome’s used to filling many roles: big brother, doting son, supersoldier – but none of those fit anymore. Now he’s just a man trying to figure out what to do with the rest of his life while keeping the dark demons of war and loss at bay. He would have been glad to suffer through it all alone, until Cora comes sweeping into his life and becomes a blinding flash of color in a sea of gray. Perfect may not be in the cards, but perfectly imperfect could just last forever…

Happily Ever After: yes

What I Liked Most About This Book: I liked that this book gave us insight on and closure to the life of Rome and Rule’s brother Remy who was first introduced in Rule. I also appreciated the friendship between Rome and Asa.

What I Liked Least About This Book: The epilogue. I didn’t like that the storyline for the next Marked Men book Nash began in this book. I like that these books, while part of the over-arching Marked Men series, are basically stand-alones. Although, because they are all friends the previous couples make appearances in each subsequent book and obviously life is continuing on for them and things keep happening to them, each couple’s story begins and ends in one, self-contained book. The plot lines in the epilogue seemed very unnecessary in this book since they were essentially not about Rome and Cora. It felt a bit like Nash and Saint were infringing on Rome and Cora’s book. And it left a cliff hanger (for Nash’s story, not Rome’s thank goodness), and I HATE cliffhangers!

Share A Quote From The Book:
“What did you call me?”

“Captain No-Fun.”

He let out a chuckle that sounded rusty from lack of use and he shook his head at me.

“Staff Sergeant No-Fun is more accurate.”

I gaped a little in surprise that a sense of humor actually lurked somewhere under all the muscle and broodiness.

“I call my dad ‘Admiral Ass Hat,’ he doesn’t really think it’s funny.”

The scar on his forehead twitched again. “Your dad was in the navy?”
“Oh yeah. He was totally Popeye.”

“Was he really an admiral?” There was a shade of respect in his tone. 

“Yep, so you can imagine how thrilled he was trying to rein me in when I was younger.”

Would I Recommend This Book: Yes

Would I Re-Read This Book: Yes


Rating: four out of five stars

No comments:

Post a Comment