Sunday, April 6, 2014

Rule

Author: Jay Crownover

Genre: New Adult Fiction

Release Date: May 7, 2013

Format: Nook e-book

Number of Pages: 284

Stand Alone or Part of a Series: Part of the Marked Men series, but can be read as a stand-alone.

Summary:
Sometimes opposites don’t just attract – they catch fire and burn the city down

Shaw Landon loved Rule Archer from the moment she laid eyes on him. Rule is everything a straight-A pre-med student like Shaw shouldn’t want – and the only person she’s never tried to please. She isn’t afraid of his scary piercings and tattoos or his wild attitude. Though she knows that Rule is wrong for her, her heart just won’t listen.

To a rebel like Rule Archer, Shaw Landon is a stuck-up, perfect princess – and his dead twin brother’s girl. She lives by other people’s rules; he makes his own. He doesn’t have time for a good girl like Shaw – even if she’s the only one who can see the person he truly is.

But a short skirt, too many birthday cocktails and spilled secrets lead to a night that neither can forget. Now, Shaw and Rule have to figure out how a girl like her and a guy like him are supposed to be together without destroying their love…or each other.

Happily Ever After: Yes

What I Liked Most About This Book: Rule. I am a sucker for a completely screwed-up, train wreck male lead, and Rule fits the bill nicely. I love that this story is told from both Rule’s and Shaw’s point of view. It makes the story all that much better to not only get to enjoy Rule through Shaw’s eyes, but also to get inside that messed up head of his and see what makes him act the way he does.
Also, kudos to Jay Crownover because she has the male voice down pat. Sometimes when stories are told from multiple points of view they can all sound very similar. But the writing style and word choice changes enough that, in this case, each character has a very distinctive voice, and Rule’s is very clearly and authentically male – something that a lot of female writers struggle with.

What I Liked Least About This Book: Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE his book. And I don’t know that I would actually change this aspect (or any other) of it – but I’ve got to pick something I don’t like…

I didn’t like that Shaw’s personality and back ground seemed to follow what is fast turning into the stereotypical young adult/new adult heroine. Innocent, virginal, pure-as-the-driven-snow good girl who has a bad home life which makes her feel even more like she has to be perfect. Like I said, I like the story the way it is, and I like Shaw. She is perfect for Rule - he needs someone he can protect. It is just unfortunate that this type of heroine has become the norm because it means that Shaw comes across as a bit formulaic and gets lost amongst the gaggle of others just like her, instead of standing out like she deserves to do.

Share A Quote From The Book:
I covered her entire palm with a detailed drawing of a sacred heart; it matched the one I had inked on the center of my chest. It had flames dancing up the back, a crown of thorns on top of it, a spray of roses along the bottom, and in the center I drew a scrolling banner with my name in the center. “Here’s my heart, Shaw. You have it in your hands, and I promise you are the first and last person to ever touch it. You need to be careful with it because it’s far more fragile than I ever thought, and if you try to give it back I’m not taking it.

Would I Recommend This Book: Yes

Would I Re-Read This Book: I already have – more than once.


Rating: Five out of five stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment